Tuesday, February 05, 2008

It was a dark and stormy night.....

Picture it -- February 5th, 1972. And it really was a dark and stormy night . My mother drove me and my husband to the hospital, and as we pulled into the parking lot I changed my mind. "Nope, I don't want to. It's going to hurt, there's no other way to get this kid out, right?" My Mom shrugged and said, OK - and she turned around. We made a few laps around the hospital while Hubby about wet his pants and came unglued. Finally I relented, and they took me in. This was the Bad Old Days of childbirth - no epidurals, and of course no one in the delivery room. Certain husbands were allowed in if they had completed six months of that new Lamaze thing, AND had a note from the doctor!! Honest! Well, my 17 yr. old husband certainly was no candidate for any delivery room, and Grandmas didn't count so I was on my own. There was a lot they didn't explain back then - like EVERYTHING. Eventually they did give me what was called a "saddle-block" that made everything numb from the waist down - then they yelled at me to push. Push what? I thought they were crazy, and they finally had to clamp on forcepts and yank him out - all 9lbs, 6 oz, 23 inches of him, but while I was aghast at how tiny he was, they all flipped out at how big. Perspective is a funny thing, huh? We both survived this adventure, not much worse for wear. He had bruises on his head for a week, and I had twice daily dressing changes - unbeknownst to anyone including me, I had been scratching my right thigh the whole time, and it was a shredded, bloody mess. Oh yea - my wrists were restrained, strapped to the bed or something, and my thigh was the only thing I could touch but couldn't feel. Thank God and medicine that those bad old days are history.

That young man and I grew up together and to my delight he finally had a child of his own this year. I sent him a dozen text messages throughout the day today, giving him bits of family trivia about the magic age of 36. Like how when I was his age, he was in college. How his Grandma was 36 when he was born. When I was 36, I adopted my current cat, Cuervo. LOL -- that was when he called me back - "WHAT???" yes, the same cat Cuervo. "You've had that cat since you were MY age???" LOL!! True! Suddenly stunned silence..........then my baby boys voice - "Does this mean I'm old?"
Yes Dear.
"So if I'm middle aged, that makes you............"
DON'T EVEN GO THERE!!!!
It's an amazing, wonderful gift, these kids. Even though I had no business having a baby at that age, I never considered any alternative. He's been my joy & delight, my rock, my teacher and my student and now we're very close friends. As time goes on, what short little age gap there once was is all evened out, and now we're about the same, I think. God knew what He was doing, as always, to entrust me with an angel. The snot-nosed teenager disappeared overnight and I blossomed into Steve's Mom, and it was the BEST thing to ever happen to me!! Happy Birthday, Booper!

11 comments:

dot said...

Wow, what a birth. I had very easy deliveries. Sounds like you have a wonderful man for a son. Happy birthday to him.

Pam said...

That was such a wonderful post to read. Thank you. Happy Birthday to your son.

Kim said...

How funny! Sharon (Red Geranium Cottage) has a son born on this date too and blogged about it, although hers is a little younger than yours. But what a coincidence! Funny to think back to what you were doing when you were your kids age--kinda puts things in perspective, doesn't it? My kids' birthdays are this weekend--my son will be 27 on Saturday and my daughter will be 24 Sunday. Hummm. I guess I know what all of us were up to in May! ROFLOL!

Leslie said...

A very nice tribute and what a great picture. Sometimes we love 'em so much it makes our heart hurt.

Fabricfaire said...

Ooooh,Happy Birth-Day to you and your son! I too can relate to your experience!

Ms. Jan said...

Happy Birthday to your son and to you, Mom. Isn't it amazing how they change our lives? Thanks for sharing such a great story. xoxo

Quilts And Pieces said...

What a wonderful story! But I"m glad having babies has changed!

Michele Bilyeu said...

AAAHHHHHH....ahsome, in fact. Love these kind of stories. Handsome pair and both young from my perspective. But then, so are you, whippersnapper....grasshopper, tadpole...whatever. I've got a few years on you, yet....and I don't think you're catching up, soon! Ahh! P.S love your grandbaby pics. Just love 'em.

Red Geranium Cottage said...

OMG you brought back some memories for me. I do remember having my hands and legs strapped down to the table as they wheeled me in for my c-section.As I was screaming the whole way. LOL!!!! Those were the days huh?? Now there all grown up. Happy Birthday to your son.

Evelyn aka Starfishy said...

That is a great post and I hope you print off a copy and mail it to your son!!! Funny how times change - my Nana told me that when she had my Mom and Aunt that they actually put her to sleep - with "White Dream". When I had my son 3 of my sisters and DH stayed in the room!

Cheers!

Evelyn

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Awww... sweet sentiments for an adored son. Well said.