Friday, November 09, 2007

And the beat goes on.......

Whew! The stash cleanup continues, a way bigger job than I'd anticipated. This has been going on all week, in 1 hour chunks a.m. and 3 - 4 hour chunks at night. No decision yet on whether it's better or worse, maybe when I can walk across the floor I'll know better!

Lot's of surprises, like a little pile of vintage 30's feedsack fabrics I'd long given up as lost in a move, and 4 pairs of brand new, labels on, mens dress slacks! LOL - I think I was supposed to hem them a long time ago, but Hunny took to wearing jeans and dress shirts to work so it wasn't hard to forget about the pants. I've also turned up an embarrassing number of orphan blocks and UFOs, and -- count 'em -- 14 tops that need quilting! That was a shocker - I knew I had about 6, so now I had a total of 20 and a few of those also need borders. Geeeesh! So much for feeling smug! Also found were the very first blocks I made, when I was just learning, what a hoot! Horrible fabric and gigantic blocks. A few are even quilted like potholders, no bindings on. I razzed Michele about her huge scrap bags so I can't show what kinds of scraps I've turned up - but all the piles on the sewing machine table are FQ's, and you can see one trashbag full of scraps on the floor.

All this would really be a lot more fun if I didn't have devastating news at work. We have to close up our clinic and move the whole thing lock, stock, staff and patients to another clinic 45 miles away, and we have less than 2 weeks to do it. Moving a dialysis clinic isn't like moving anything else, for starters it has to be a state certified facility with an immense water purification system via RO (reverse osmosis). Our patients must come in 3 days a week, and some already drive an hour to get here, now we're going to make them go another 45 minutes so it's going to be a huge hardship on them and their families and transportation providers. The first staff to come in the morning arrive by 3:15 am to start set-up and the first patients arrive by 5:15 am. Then all the logistics of a move like this, which falls on me. Hopefully I'll have tons of corporate back-up but it's going to be a tough month. If you don't hear from me I'l be under my desk whimpering.......

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my gosh, I'm wondering why we didn't get to see a photo of the floor. I imagine that's where all the fabric is hiding....lol... So sorry about your work situation, I can't begin to imagine how difficult that move will be.

Julia said...

That just stinks!!! Why are they making your clinic move? My niece works at a dialysis clinic, so I know a little of what your talking about.
Isn't it crazy what we find when we clean, all of those lost items. LOL

Susan said...

Oh how difficult work is going to be for you...... Makes everything seem rather overcast......

Your room progress is coming along nicely..... You are going to be so pleased when it is done.

Elaine Adair said...

Oh terrible move! I'm sorry for this unpleasant task, and even worse for the patients.

Continued good work on the cleanup in the sewing room. Kinda humbling isn't it?

Leslie said...

*How* many tops?? Once the dust settles you can put that quilt frame to good use. With work like it is, no wonder you're immersing yourself in massive amounts of fabric therapy. Hold fast to God, He's always holding fast of you!

Like your siggy. :D

Paula, the quilter said...

O man, that stinks. A corporate/work move is NOT fun. Just keep fondling the fabric.

*karendianne. said...

What fun to read about your stash cleanup and all the things you're finding.

Sorry to hear about the huge change at work in such a short amount of time. Hate to think about this for you and all the families its impacting. Its hard enough to be a patient without this around the holidays. Uh.

Well, we'll send good thoughts to you and everyone involved and hope for the best.

Michele Bilyeu said...

Su Bee. You? Whimpering? Under a table? I think not, Woman. You're too busy razzing me, flinging...well, whatever at my poor namesake / identity theft cow, and offering me your left arm for illegal trafficing in pirated vhs tapes. No, my dear. It takes more than anything I see or hear here to stop you from doing good and cleaning the...well, whatever it is that you fling...out of the messes and chaos of this world. Look at you go, girl...you're one badstash buster!

Perry said...

I can't imagine having to move a dialysis clinic. My husband was on dialysis for 2 years, and there is a lot of "stuff" in a dialysis clinic. And the hardship on the people who have to travel to one, both mentally and physically is heart rendering. Good luck, you have a difficult job ahead of you. By the way, I hope you have learned your lesson about cleaning out your fabric closet. I tried that, and it seemed to just grow, lol. Will never do it again. Now I can't find anything!!

julieQ said...

Wow!! Sounds like you have been in the middle of a tornado. Moving nursing units is so hard, ask me, I know!! Hope it all goes as smoothly as possible for you.

That is a lot of quilt tops found! How fun, like potential energy, right?

JulieQ

Angela said...

So if volunteer to come clean up your sewing room, can I keep what I dont think you NEED? LOL