Wednesday, June 28, 2006




At last I am back to blog -- having lost a few weeks in a fever pitch at work, suddenly having to absorb half again as many patients as we already had -- approximately 6 years growth in a span of 2 weeks. The logistics, the paperwork, the computer data entry -- all of it was formidable. We have to hire 5 new staff, our medications and supplies have to be increased, even details like increased amounts of chemicals onhand to be registered with the county HazMat department, and the medical waste disposal folks. A thousand details. I did get to be a bit quilty -- the blue quilt to the left is actually just a top, and it does NOT have yellow borders! It is pinned on top of another quilt that is hanging there, so I can decide what to do for borders. The Delectable Mountains blocks are a result of a block exchange within my mini group, and having seen all the variations of settings decided I wanted something different. The vertical set with blocks down the center really appealed to me, and there isn't one on every corner. Now - what to do with those borders? This was in pieces on my design wall, and taking up most of the wall, so when I became enthralled with my next project I had to make a deal with myself. Sternly, I told me that this could not come off the wall in pieces - it must be a finished top before I could use the design wall again. It had lived there for many weeks, and the time had come. So all in one day I put it together, and I'm kind of pleased with it! But really; I did it to make room for this:



This is Chunky Churndash from Bonnie Hunters' wonderful site, Quiltville.com. At this point it is about half pieced, or half blocked, I should say. I love the scrappiness of it, AND I love the symmetry, the graphic-ness. (is that a real word???) My two favorite things. I've about tapped out the variety of my scraps, without delving into batiks or 30's or flannels, so now I'll attack the FQs - and there are hundreds of them. The last 3 quilts I have made have been entirely from stash, and of those, 2 are bedsized and scrappy! As a relatively new quilter, I'mm starting to feel like a "real" quilter......Oh what a good feeling!

More tomorrow ---




2 comments:

Leslie said...

Really nice photo of the Batik Mountains. I like the orchids in the foreground.
Link to Bonnie's site in your blog, so blog hoppers can go there. :D

Tonya Ricucci said...

Hi Su Bee, I was surfing blogs and found yours. I love that Delectable Mountains - wonderful colors.